In The Age Of Hysteria
Genre: Historical Erotic Romance
Publisher: MuseItHOT Publishing
Date of Publication: 6-28-13
Number of pages: 139
Word Count: 25,541
Cover Artist: Marion Sipe
Dr. Joseph Brenner, a twenty-two year old graduate of medical college, has a natural gift for treating hysteria, circa 1878. The only problem is none of his peers in Boston, Massachusetts will offer him an assistantship due to a supposed moral indiscretion on his part. Without obtaining an assistantship he cannot enter the medical field to build a reputation as a competent doctor. Or, so he believes.
The beautiful and affluent Ms. Mary Pyre, a twenty-six year old businesswoman, has heard whispers of Joseph's proficiency in treating the disease. She seeks Joseph out and hires him as the attending physician at her Women's Health and Revitalizing Spa. Though Joseph and Mary are attracted to each other, unfortunate circumstances make them keep their romantic feelings for one another at arm's length. It is only when he learns she needs his expertise to overcome her chronic sexual impotence toward men that their relationship has an opportunity to move forward.
Available at MuseItHOT
I'm glad you had a good night," Mary signed. "I'm very happy for you."
"Me too," Susan signed back, then averted her eyes about the room, observed other patrons eating breakfast, looked everywhere except at Mary.
Instantly, Mary recognized something wasn't right. That something else must have happened to Susan last night that she didn't want to admit. Without giving the least consideration to her surroundings, Mary verbalized her thoughts instead of signing. "What is it, Susan? What else happened? He didn’t disrespect you afterward, did he? I'll take my derringer and shoot him dead. I swear to God. Tell me what else happened, right now, before I go off and commit a murder."
Conversation instantly stopped on all sides of them, the other diners blatantly staring, obviously wanting to hear if this well-dressed woman was justified in her threat. Sadly, Susan could only sign an answer.
"I've just made up my mind to send a letter by courier to Dr. Brenner this morning asking him to meet you at the spa later this afternoon."
Mary instantly felt her face flushing with heat. "And what reason will the letter specifically state for my wanting to meet with him?"
"It will state you want him to give you a treatment. We'll say you haven't the energy to do it yourself due to all the long hours of labor you've put into the spa. We won't mention anything about you being in love with him."
"Oh no you're not!" Mary's breath whooshed out of her. She felt like all the oxygen had been sucked out of the room and she might pass out any second. She couldn't make her fingers communicate fast enough. "What would make you want to do such a thing? Didn't you hear me saying how it will give him a complex when he can't bring me off?"
"He's a consummate professional. So he won't have a complex if you don't come," Susan signed. "Besides, you will certainly reach Heaven with him because you're in love with him. I won't sit idly by, letting you deny yourself the one thing in life you really want. I'm used to men not falling in love with me. I'm perfectly happy going through life with a revolving door of strange men in my wake. But I won't let you give up on the only man you've ever loved. Dr. Joseph Brenner is a good man, a thorough doctor, and he's perfect for you. You know I'm right. Now listen to me—"
Mary slapped her hand down on the table. The staccato sound of palm on pine echoed off the dining room walls. The silverware jumped in response.
"Absolutely not!" Mary shook her head for emphasis; liking the fact her vehemence stopped Susan in mid-sign. "Do you want to go back to teaching uncouth adolescents? Well, I certainly don't. And this boardinghouse is as far as I care to descend on the ladder of life. By this time next year we can go back to our lavish lifestyles if we stay the course. So I won't have any part of it. I won't let the failure of the spa rest on my shoulders."
"It won't be resting on your shoulders." Susan's officious demeanor returned. "It'll be resting on your stubborn quim."
About the Author:
Edgy and provocative in his writings, Thomas Briar strives to exalt the virtues of love and lust in every erotic story he creates. To date, he's garnered eleven publishing contracts with three different publishers and has seven published books in the marketplace.
When he's not writing, he enjoys spending time with his wife, reading, taking long walks, and people watching. Yeah, he's always wondering what makes people do the things they do. He knows it's usually something hidden in plain sight. He just has to figure out what it is, much like the motivations of the characters in his stories.
Five Revelations from Thomas Briar
• I was once a very religious young man. The ladies in the church I attended wore their hair in buns and their dress-tails brushed against the hardwood floor. Considering the explicit sexual content in my books, who would ever suspect that I came from such an austere environment…right?
• At twenty-five years of age I discovered Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries and Anais Nin. The course of my life was forever altered. However, due to my religious upbringing, I suffered quite the emotional dilemma: either reinvent myself into who I wanted to be or continue to live out my life in religious austerity. I honestly believe I made the right choice.
• My wife is the most fun I've ever had. And I suspect she always will be. I met her when I was twenty-two and she was nineteen. I knew I was going to marry her three weeks into our relationship but I waited eight months before I actually asked for her hand in marriage. We've been together twenty-one years. She's the love of my life.
• I'm no stranger to manual labor. My father put me to work at six years old. I chuckle now whenever I think back at how I considered it a travesty that my younger brother didn't have to start working until he was seven. My brother and I are still the best of friends all these many years later.
• I love writing erotica and erotic romance. Every time I publish a new story I feel like I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.
Amazon Author Page
10 ecopies of In The Age Of Hysteria
a Rafflecopter giveaway