Monday, November 10, 2014

Happy Book Birthday the Book of Ivy! Releasing Tomorrow!

The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel
Releasing November 11, 2014




Book synopsis:

After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and return the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…

Buy links:


Goodreads link:

 About Amy Engel:
Amy Engel
Amy Engel was born in Kansas and after a childhood spent bouncing between countries (Iran, Taiwan) and states (Kansas, California, Missouri, Washington, D.C.), she settled in Kansas City, Missouri where she lives with her husband and two kids.  Before devoting herself full time to motherhood and writing, she was a criminal defense attorney, which is not quite as exciting as it looks on TV.  When she has a free moment, she can usually be found reading, running, or shoe shopping.

Find Amy online:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB9MvY0V-Cc

My Review

Oh my goodness! I was not prepared to fall so hard for this book. I was also not prepared AT ALL for the most devastating ending I think I've ever read in my life. I mean like tears, and heartbreak, and trouble breathing, heart in my throat ending. Dear God I need book two because that's just completely unacceptable for me to wait after that! LOL But anyways, before I scare you off, let me just say that this is an AWESOME book. Do you hear me when I say AWESOME. Yes, I know it's listed in the dystopian genre, and it is, but it's also so much more than that. This is every teenage girl's worse nightmare or complete dream. It's complicated and wonderful, and Ivy will have you completely wrapped around her finger by the end of this story. 

So, Ivy is a strong girl, except she doesn't know it to start with. You see, she is forced to Marry her enemy at 16. Because this is how the world is now. She is marrying the President's son, and short of her death, there is nothing to stop this from happening. So she does, and she plots to kill her husband. What she didn't plan on is that fact that he is not evil, her enemies are actually better people than her family, though it takes her ages to realize this, and her own plan to kill her husband will completely blow her mind. Because he's good, and even worse, or better if you ask me, is he's good to her. He takes her side, he smiles at her, he tries to make her feel good about herself, he is her partner. She's never had that before. Ever. She's had dictators. And she will find out too late who is really on her side. Except herself. She's a fascinating character. I hate that it took such a devastating thing to wake her up, but I also completely understand why she is the way she is. The world she lives in is NOT ours. I mean yes it is, but it's destroyed, and it's really not the same. And on top of that, it's like they went backwards. You take a bunch of tests, and you are paired with someone, there is no choice, love or otherwise. And that in itself is devastating. To me at least, because they'd kill me with my crazy opinionated self. 

Now Bishop. Dear God, I wanna put him in my pocket and carry him with me forever. He comes off cold and quiet, but around Ivy, he's amazing. He opens up to her, shows her a world of wonders she never knew. He's trying to fight for what he believes in, but in a big picture kind of way, not a guns blazing, shoot people down who don't agree with you kind of way. I love that he is always on Ivy's side. He will make sure she is comfortable, most of all.  He seriously is one amazing guy, and if you don't fall for him, I think you've maybe lost your mind. 

Ok, let's talk the two warring families. So, Bishop's parents, well, they weren't what I expected. I actually like Bishop's dad. Yes, he has flaws, and yes, he needs to start looking to change a few things. But he's actually a good guy I think. Bishop's mom. She's so damned cold that I think she could freeze hell. Yes, I know she's a little broken, and I understand why, but suck it the hell up, your own son hates you, not because he's a bad person, but because you are. I wanna slap her alot. LOL She should have married Ivy's dad, because they fit. I also absolutely HATED both Ivy's dad and sister. You see, they've brain washed her, but not in a horrible way. In little ways, that she never noticed. And it isn't until Bishop shows her love in a giving way that she begins to understand how bad they are to her. AND STILL, she does the right thing for them, much to her own downfall, she takes it for them. I am seriously hoping that the author seriously gives these two a horrible torturous death in the end, because they deserve it, and no I don't believe it's ignorance. Their choices are completely aware. UGH. Ok I won't say anymore. 

Don't read this book late at night, you'll stay up all night because you won't put it down. I didn't. I about lost my mind reading this one ;) Yes, this is the love story between Ivy and Bishop, but the background plot is just beginning. I see the twists to come between the two families, and I am saying every prayer under the sun this is not the beginning of the end. I can't say what I mean by that, it'll ruin the whole damn book. Amazing debut and now I have to pout and be anxious until next year when book two is released. I think I might go a little crazy waiting. LOL. Just trust me, this one can appeal to everyone alike, no matter the age, or the genre. Yeah this book is totally going to the top of one of the best books I've read, EVER. 5 PAWS. 


Favorite Quotes

“I'm not a complete idiot, you know," I tell him. "I do think about alternatives if things were to change in Westfall."
Bishop swings his legs off the sofa and sits forward, facing me. "I have never, not for a single second, thought you were an idiot, Ivy."
"You listen to your father, too, don't you?" I ask him.
Bishop looks down at his clasped hands, then back up at me. "Sometimes I just think that because of who we are... the president's son and the founder's daughter..." He rolls his eyes, making me smile. "It's doubly important that we think for ourselves. We're not our parents. We don't have to agree with everything they stand for.” 
― Amy EngelThe Book of Ivy

“Who do you want to turn into?" I mean the question to be mocking, but that's not how it comes out. I sound interested. I reach down and scratch my leg, trying to hid my embarrassment.
Bishop looks at me. "Someone honest. Someone who tries to do the right thing. Someone who follows his own heart, even if it disappoints people." He pauses. "Someone brave enough to be all those things."
A boy who doesn't want to lie, married to a girl who can't tell the truth. If there is a God, he has a sick sense of humor.” 
― Amy EngelThe Book of Ivy

“That night we played truth or dare. You said that after a while you stopped trying to earn your mother's affection." I pause. "Why didn't you give up with me, too?"
"You know why," he says quietly. I close my eyes. I do know, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear it. But some part of me must be, because I wouldn't have asked the question otherwise, not of Bishop, the boy who never chooses to say something easy just because the truth is hard. Maybe I want to hear it so that i will know, once and for all, that there is no going back.
"Because I'm in love with you, Ivy," he whispers. "Giving up on you isn't an option." He lifts my hair away from the back of my neck and kisses the delicate skin there.
My breath shudders out of me. The silence spirals into the dark room, and maybe it was foolish to ask the question, but I'm not sorry. I uncurl his hand and kiss his palm, his skin cool and dry. I place his hand over my heart, cover it with my own.
We fall asleep that way. His lips on my neck. My heart in his hand.” 
― Amy EngelThe Book of Ivy

I really hope you guys check this one out! Seriously :) Happy reading and later gators!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment