Saturday, October 18, 2014

Some Reviews that I've needed to post :)


So, I have some reviews of some of the books I've read, like from Netgalley, or authors who have asked, and I didn't have specific dates for them to be posted. So I am playing catch up with you guys :) If you want to know more about each book, just click on the cover and it'll take you to the goodreads page :) 

Illumine (Illumine, #1)

Illumine (Illumine #1)

For the past five months Essallie Hanley has been trying to forget about the frightening murder of her boyfriend. Haunted by vivid nightmares and hallucinations of the event she does anything she can to pretend she's like every other normal girl in High School.

Only Essallie is far from normal. Able to conjure blue fire and a shimmering silhouette of wings from her body, she seeks the only known solace left to her name; her first home in Belfast, Maine.

But she soon realizes that her return home is only the beginning of a long and twisted road taking her as far from her humanity as possible, with Kayden, the demon originally summoned to slaughter her, leading the way. Unable to touch her but oddly curious, he joins Essallie in her search to find out just what she is. But neither of them were prepared for the secrets they've begun to unravel, secrets that will change Essallie and everyone around her forever.
My Review
This is a very interesting story. It starts out with a girl who saw her boyfriend murdered. She has nightmares, she thinks she's seeing things. All she wants is for things to be normal. Nope, she isn't gunna get her normal back because she herself just ain't normal. When she gets frightened or stressed, she shoots blue fire from her hands. Then she starts seeing what looks like wings in her back. So she goes to Maine. Then she finds out Kayden, who is the demon that was summoned to kill her and he's following her around. And yet instead of killing her, he can't touch her, so Kayden decides to find out why. It's an interesting turn of events. 

It took me a minute to get into it, but when the crazy hits the fan at the party for Essallie, things start getting good.  There's some good action, and the pacing is very fast, so you'll soak it up quick. Plus, there's all kinda goodies in here, angels and demons and magic :) Essallie is a little, I don't know, almost annoying at the beginning. I know you might be loosing it, but jeez, must we whine. Thank goodness she got much better into the story. Kayden is not your typical demon and I loved that about him. He is creeptastic of course, but he has depth. 

The plot is suspenseful and interesting. I enjoyed the twists as things were revealed and I loved the ending, when your mind is blown by everything. My only complaint is the POV and scene switching. It maybe could've been a little but smoother, but nothing crazy or too bad. Also, there's a bit of spelling and punctuation errors here. As well as a lack of explanations from when Essallie moves from one school to another. She has her accident, and then it skips several months, the move, and she is in a new school with new friends. I would have liked have a little bit more explanations. But, it's also a short novella, so I know that some of the more detail and info dumps get skipped to make it a short story. So, I would love to read book two, and I'm looking forward to more :) Hopefully, some of the flaws won't make it to that one :) 3.5 PAWS! 

Compelled (Coveted, #3)

Compelled (Coveted #3)


For the past five years, Natalya Stravinsky has dreamed of two things: to rejoin the South Toms River werewolf pack and to be reunited with Thorn Grantham. Fate may have brought the pack back into her life, but unless she journeys to Russia to save Thorn, the love she’s found may be lost again. For a stubborn werewolf like Natalya, no distance is too far, no magic spell too complex to master, because one way or another she will find a way to have everything she has ever wanted.
My Review
So, I still haven't read book one, I know nuts. BUT I've read book two and now this one, and it's a very good ending! I really enjoyed getting to know Nat and the people surrounding her. And now, with who she is and what she's become, it's bitter sweet. Plus, it's hilarious that she's an OCD werewolf!! I also love that we learn a little bit of magic can happen too :) Nat goes to Russia to learn that magic and those women are a trip. And the secondary characters are some of the best parts of this book! Her friend Tyler, yeah he's a drawf, who's a male model LOL 

The plot is great and kept the pages turning for me. And the love between Nat and Thorn is wonderful, especially after reading book two with their predicament. You learn so much about Thorn, though he isn't as "present" as he was in book two. And Nat's risking her life to save him. Yep, it's all about true love!! 

This is supposed to be the last of this series, but I am really hoping that one day, we get more of them! I loved Nat's crazy family, even if I wanted to shoot most of them. And seeing her brother and her grandmother, who are AWESOME, with their lives continuing make it all the more special. This is a great addition to the series. 5 PAWS!!!


Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6)

Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6)

I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am
My Review
I have procrastinated this review because this is the last book in one of my all time favorite series! I cried, and laughed, and cheered. It's been one of the best written books, especially for a conclusion! It's just epic! Everyone knew this was coming, and my jaw dropped so many times, but I am so amazed at how well this one turned out. 

Epic, action packed, amazing, yes those are my words. Gwen's gunna do it. She's gunna kill Loki or die trying. Gwen's also full of sarcasm, kick ass, heartwrenching bad assery. All of our wonderful favorite side characters are back in action helping Gwen. Plus we get to meet some totally cool new characters. The characters are so well written, and it's been an amazing journey to fall in love with all of them. And as Gwen was growing, she had spectacular growth in this one, so did all of her friends around her. AND all of the secrets and mysteries we've been dying to know are all finally revealed. It was killing me to know about Gwen and Logan, and who would live, and who the hell Raven is. :) 

And though I am still so happy that this book was just magnificent, I am so sad, no more stalking to see the next book's release date, and adding it to my to-read list. And no more pretty covers. *sigh* I know. But trust me, this is the best one yet! :) 5 PAWS!!!! 

Unclaimed (The Amoveo Legend, #5)

Unclaimed (The Amoveo Legend #5)

She Works Hard to be Normal...

Tatiana Winters loves the freedom of her life as a veterinarian in Oregon. It's only reluctantly that she agrees to help cure a mysterious illness among the horses on a Montana ranch—the ranch of the Amoveo Prince. Tatiana is no ordinary vet—she's a hybrid from the Timber Wolf Clan, but she wants nothing to do with the world of the Amoveo shifters.

But There's No Escaping Destiny...

Dominic Trejada serves as a Guardian, one of the elite protectors of the Prince's Montana ranch. As a dedicated Amoveo warrior, he is desperate to find his mate, and time is running out. He knows Tatiana is the one—but if he can't convince her, he may not be able to protect her from the evil that's rapidly closing in...
My Review

I have't read any of the other books of this series, but I still enjoyed this one! Tatiana is a half breed wolf. She has always had that hanging over her head. And now, her sister found a mate, so she should expect one too. :) But Tatiana refuses to have someone chosen for her, she wants free will to chose who she wants. And she has tried everything to escape from that life. But when she is summoned by the King, because he needs her veterinarian skills on his ranch, she is pretty much forced to go. But she's only going for the horses that are in trouble :) Then she meets Dom. He's a leader of the Guardians, and he's had a rough go as well. He's seen Tatiana in his dreams, and he knows she's his mate, but that doesn't mean she's gunna be nice about it :) 

Dom has a lot on his plate, his traitor sister and her purist group, and the humans out to destroy the Amoveo, are coming in from all sides. And the the horses on the ranch dying, it's just not acceptable. AND to top it off, his own mate wants nothing to do with him. I had to laugh at how much these two fought. It's a great bang to start a relationship :) 

This is an interesting series and I do believe I will need to read all of the books in it. :) The plot is great, because there's a lot of action and mystery, and yes romance, but twists and lots of crazy happenings. I really enjoyed this one. I look forward to reading more. 4.5 PAWS!!! 

Embrace (Kane Wolves, #2)

Embrace (Kane Wolves #2)

Old traditions reign supreme in Sophie's world. Female Alphas are as reviled as they are rare. When stunning revelations about her ancestry threaten the fragile peace, Sophie must fight to protect the ones she loves or risk losing everything - and everyone.

On the homefront, Sophie's newly united pack simmers with mistrust. Daniel has returned, his intentions clear, but his presence isolates the one person Sophie can depend on - her twin, Tristan.

Sophie's pack is close to destruction. The wolves are at her door and they are crying for blood. Sophie learns the hard way that life is full of choices and sometimes there are no good ones.

Can this female Alpha keep control amidst the chaos or will she be torn apart by those who should follow her?
My Review

So I LOVED Howl, and I really couldn't wait to read this one. Howl left is hanging and I needed to finish what was started :) So, this is two books that make a duology, instead of a trilogy. I liked that too :) There's a lot of action going on, and suspense, which kept my pages turning, and hope for the romance :) Sophie asked Dan to come back. Sophie's twin Tristan is not ok with this because he doesn't trust Dan, and no one really understands why she needed him to come back. But she's still alpha, not just of her family but now of the Larsen family too. She is definitely being tested because of that. And Magda, from the Larsen family, is also the daughter on an Alpha. She calls her father to start trouble for Sophie. No one really thinks Sophie has the right to be alpha, or that she is good enough for the job. Of course it's cuz she's a girl :) But Sophie's smart, she calls the council, makes the meet, and wants to stop the attacks of all the humans on the east coast. 

But after her failed attempt with the council, he family is attacked. The house burns down, guns shots at them, and the family gets separated, and Daniel gets lost when he tries to help Sophie run. Sophie has so much to learn to become alpha as a female of not just one, but two packs. Plus, she's learning to become an adult. Yes she makes a bad decision here and there, but then she does everything she can to fix it. 

The fast paced, action packed, awesomeness of this story had me glued to the pages. There's of course werewolves, :) and a little romance, and some crazy people. LOL Plus, it's completely unpredictable and there's a whole bunch of twists that I didn't see coming. The writing is flawless, the basis of the wolves is excellent, and overall I couldn't be more happy! I LOVED IT! I wish there were MORE!! ;) 5 PAWS!! 

Through The Veil (#1)

Through The Veil (#1)

58 years ago a gorge opened up from Mobile, AL to Quebec City, Canada to split the United States into the Western States (WS) and the Eastern States (ES). 40 years later, a fog rolled in on the WS that they called the Veil. Within twelve hours it formed an impenetrable wall between the two sides. It's been 18 years since anyone has known what's happening on the other side of the Veil. Now, Lori, an Other, in a desperate attempt at escape from the ES's torture and experimentation, has crossed the Veil and found a world beyond belief. Marcus is a Warrior, but when Lori collapses at his feet wounded and exhausted, he knows he has to protect her. But seeing that she's the first person he's seen in 18 years without wings, he's worried about what her appearance means for his people and the world they've created since the Veil fell. Two new societies: one built on a respect for the natural order of nature and the world, the other built on mistrust and corruption. Can they learn to co-exist once again?
My review
So I accidentally spotted this on NetGalley. And I was like no, it's another angel book, then I see purple wings, then I read the description, then I jumped right in. LOL I seriously liked this one. I really wanna read book two like tomorrow LOL . I wasn't sure what to expect, but that's ok, but she met and topped my expectations with this one. An apocalyptic paranormal romance, that will have everyone cheering and then gasping for air at the end. This is a cool mesh and I loved it. I do believe I should tell you that you may need some kleenex though, it's a little tear jerker :) 

I wanna start with the world building first. So, this giant crack formed half way through the US, and a magical barrier formed keeping each side separate. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE has crossed that veil. Except Lori does, and she lands almost on Marcus's feet. :) But before this. So one side, tries to live peacefully with each other, but is a little less technologically advanced that the other side. Lori's side is all businesses and skyscrapers and electricity, while Marcus's is country living, peaceful, magical. They both have monsters, they are just different. 

So, Lori had the perfect life. She has a great job, a fiance, blah blah, but when her fiance learns she has abilities, he turns her in to be tortured for a very long time. So when Lori actually escapes, with some help of her friends and fellow tortured mates, she somehow crosses the veil. She's a shadow of her former self. She's been tortured for so long that she doesn't look at things in the same light as most people. But then, all she can think about is going to back to rescue her friends. She'd rather die that leave them stuck there. 

Marcus is having a seriously rough time. His torture is different than Lori's because he's lost everything. Anything that really mattered to him. It's also pretty heart wrenching. And then, somehow, when Lori stumbles onto his feet bleeding, dying, something wakes him back up. She's special, and he has to figure out if his past means more to him than his present and future. He had his moments where I thought I would have to jump in and smack him around, but then he got his head straight. I like him. He's a great male lead. 

The story itself is full of action packed mystery. Trying to find out what's going on with the monsters on this side, trying to figure how Lori crossed over, and trying to figure how to get back across to rescue people is our main things, but there's some little twists in there to throw you off your game :) I can't wait to see what's gunna happen with that ending. Who's gunna live... Yeah it's that rough. I am now hooked and I can't wait for more. Trust me, this one is not as predictable as you may think and it's totally worth it! :) 5 PAWS!! Oh, wait, what if I use WINGS today :)

Stone Guardian (Entwined Realms, #1)

Stone Guardian (Entwined Realms #1)

Gryphons flying past skyscrapers? Wizards battling it out in coffeehouses? Women riding motorcycles with large swords strapped to their backs? All normal sights since the Great Collision happened twenty-six years ago.

Well, not normal for everyone. Larissa Miller may have been born after the Great Collision, but as a history teacher who lives in the human-only city, she has never come into contact with any other race or species, nor has she wanted to. Her life is as ordinary as it gets - that is, until one day she walks out of her apartment and is attacked by a mob of Zombies, only to be saved by a Gargoyle.

Gargoyles trust no one outside their Clan, but due to a cryptic prophecy, Terak, Leader of the Gargoyles, has been watching over the human woman for months. While he can find no reason why the woman has been singled out, something about her stirs every protective instinct within him. When the attack confirms that the threats against her exist and are real, he convinces Larissa that though their races have never been allies, the best chance of discovering why she has been brought into his world is by working together.

In the course of their investigation Terak becomes entranced by his little human. But when he discovers why Necromancers want her and the great reward that awaits him if he betrays her, he must choose between the welfare of his Clan and not only Larissa’s life, but the fate of this New Realm as well.
My Review
So, I think Gargoyles are the new it, because this one has made me love them!! I found this on netgalley and boy am I ever glad they accepted my request. Terek is some kind of hawtness that I dunno if I could stand not knowing him :) He's an alpha gargoyle and it's a whole new ball game. Who ever thought stone could be so hot! LOL And this new world that is built here, it's amazing. Plus, there's not all that much usually spread around for the gargoyles, other than stone, right. Well not anymore. 

Terak is his clan's leader. They are not only separate from the humans, but all the other supernatural creatures as well. Until the Oracle summons him. Yeah you show up for that meeting, trust me. She tells him he must guard a human names Larissa. Terak doesn't understand why this human could mean anything, except when he starts guarding her, he figures out something... Mate. 

Larissa is human, but she is special. She is also not trying to prove to anyone that she's anything more than human. Thank you for that, no ones dying for stupidity. :) I loved her charming personality, her whole family of dudes, who treat her like she's grandma's crystal vase. Not pronounced VAYS, but VOS.... You know all special and what not LOL. She was born on the day the two worlds collided, the human world and the supernatural world. Her dad and 4 brothers are all cops, and they are not into supernatural, after all, their mom died on that special day giving birth to Larissa, so they blame the supernaturals. So, Larissa is very sheltered when it comes to anything other than human things. And then all of a sudden, supernaturals are coming out of the wood to kill her. She doesn't understand, and she's freaking out because a gargoyle saved her. 

Yeah, this one is definitely a page turner. Not just because of the awesome tension of romance between Terak and Larissa, but also from the plot. It's a fantastic web being spun, and it'll knock your socks off. And there's some great side characters too, from the guild, and the Oracle, and I really love Larissa's family. Terak's clan makes me a little nervous, but I think things are gunna turn out ok. I absolutely cannot wait for more from this series!! :) 5 PAWS!! 


Stone Embrace: A Stone Guardian After-Scene (Entwined Realms, #1.1)

Stone Embrace: A Stone Guardian After-Scene(Entwined Realms #1.1)

In the New Realms, love can be the most dangerous battle of all...

Terak has fought all enemies to claim Larissa. It doesn't matter his own Clan looks upon the union with misgivings. It doesn't matter her family see a monster when they see him.

It doesn't matter, because Larissa is his.

And any who would try to take her away? They'll see what a Gargoyle will do to protect his mate.

*****

NOTE: Stone Embrace is not a complete story. It would best be described as an extended 30 page epilogue to the novel Stone Guardian. You'll probably have the most enjoyment reading this story if you have read Stone Guardian and already know the characters and world of the Entwined Realms series.
My Review
So this is a little after though from book one. DO NOT read this if you haven't read book one. Seriously read book one, it's awesome LOL. But, anyways, Terak has to meet Larissa's family which is the best part. But it's also a telling of the day the two worlds meets. The human and supernatural worlds collided, and present day is dealing with the consequences. Larissa's father is still not happy about his human daughter being with a supernatural gargoyle. HE HATES all things supe. It's a touching story because you see Larissa and Terak leaning on each other, while Larissa needs her family's support. It's a great short story to keep us from going stir crazy while we wait for book two! I loved it!! I can't wait for so much more!! 

Unborn (Unborn, #1)

Unborn (Unborn #1)

Born into mystery. Shackled to darkness…

Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld―except her place in it. But when she’s ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city. Khara needs their help to unravel the tangled secrets of who and what she is—secrets many seem willing to kill for. But time is running out, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer necessity binds her to an arrogant fallen angel.

Can their shaky alliance withstand that which threatens her, or will her soul fall victim to the unholy forces that hunt her―those that seek the Unborn?

From the author of the bestselling Caged series comes a pulse-pounding new series of supernatural romance.
My Review
I like this one. So, there's a girl, who has been raised in hell, by Hades. And there's some fallen angels who are her brothers who live on Earth protecting humans. And then we take some Greek Gods, throw them in, put a lot of action in there and wham, we get some goodies :) LOL 
So Khara has been living with Hades. Not as a lover, as a daughter. He adopted her. And when someone comes and rips her from him, and dumps her on Earth, only to be found by those who are literally her brothers, things get real interesting. She has no clue what happened. She's a little out of sorts with how things work and how people talk and how they dress. Her brothers are angels who protect the humans, like gaurdians but fierce. She has several brothers who all share a house, and then there's Oz, who's a fallen angel, but not. He's kinda special. And quite arrogant. Yet he keeps saving her. There interactions are hilarious. Especially when they start trying to teach her how to fight and what to wear. And then we finally figure out exactly who and what she is, and it's a major twist! 
I liked all the action and suspense. I would love to know and understand more though about the Light and Dark Ones, and their differences. And the fallen, and how they all fit into with the Greek worlds. I look forward to reading the next installment to see what's going to happen after that epic ending. :) 4.5 PAWS!! 

Dragons Don't Cry

Dragons Don't Cry (Fire Chronicles #1)

One pint sized human female who’s had too much to drink, not enough sleep, and absolutely no patience meets one stubborn dragon shifter with an attitude.

Bastian claims Acasia, his unwilling bride, after she spends the night carousing with friends. She’s not happy, he’s pissed off, and with a curse from a goddess thrown in, you’ll see Bastian breathe fire.

Add secrets, treasure, and unimaginable heartbreak for an emotionally humorous read and discover why Dragons Don’t Cry.
My Review
This is not what I expected, but I loved it regardless. A girl goes out drinking with her friends... And ends up the bride of a dragon. BUT, see, here's the twist, usually a girl gets chosen to be a sacrifice to the dragons. They were supposed to be celebrating, in case one of them is chosen, or maybe none of them are. But Acasia is. And she is sent to live with the dragons. Who are dragon shifters. PS, she also throws up on said dragon the first time she meets him, which is hilarious. 
Bastien is the dragon who gets Acasia. He's quite sad about this, because he had a bride, but humans die in his world, and he really doesn't want to get attached to her. He lusts after her, but tries to keep her away by being rude. 
The world building is interesting. There are 4 dragons left, and Hera has cursed them all because of the actions of one. Every one hundred years, they choose a bride, to fall in love, and then she dies. It's a little heart breaking. They all must do this until they find their true mate. But there's a little twist here. :) And they can go back to the earth realm, where there's a vampire of course and shifters.  
It's definitely an interesting start to a series and I think I'll enjoy the next book when it comes out! :) 4 PAWS!! 

Anointed

Anointed (The Cantati Chronicles #1)

My name is Alana Devereaux. I enjoy the simple things in life, walks in the park, sky gazing, and ripping a demon's heart out though its chest. I am a demon slayer, the last of my kind, and I have been sent back through time to save your world.

How am I doing so far? My time travel went haywire, all the signs I needed to stop the prophecy have passed, and the only way I can save my world is by keeping yours from ending. Then there's Gaelen, most days I want to deck him. He hides his true motives and if it was not for the intel he had, I would be rid of him. Any day in my life without a demon attack is a good day; I haven't had a whole lot of those lately. The only problem is, if I don’t stop the Mutari, this world will burn.
My Review
I totally got into this one!! It's an apocalyptic/dystopian world that has great building and is a fantastic way to start a new series! Alana must go back in time to stop the world from ending. Demons have flooded her time, and she needs to prevent this from happening in the first place. And you only have 3 weeks. 
Alana is great. She's a bad ass, kcik ass warrior, and she takes no ones BS. She's literally the last hope. She will never give up. Gaelin is the of course alpha male who broods alot, but their relationship is quite scary hahaha it's either one way or the other and it's chaos all around. 
The plot is fantastic with a lot of action and suspense. I turned those pages until I couldn't any more. The writing is well done and the characters have death. I felt so much for Alana with what she has to go through. I can't wait for more!! 5 PAWS!! 
So there we have it! I hope you check out some of these books. Happy reading and later gators!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment